Corn is the most crucial input in raising chickens, and it is the largest cost component in broiler production. In fact, two-thirds of chicken feed is comprised of corn.
- In 2011, more than 50.5 billion pounds liveweight of broilers will be produced.
- Requires 110 billion pounds of feed or 55 million tons, including broilers, pullet, breeders
- 65 percent of chicken feed is corn and corn by-products
- 36 million tons or 1.3 billion bushels are fed to chickens
- Accounts for 25 percent of all corn used for domestic animal feed in 2010/11 or about 10.5 percent of corn production from the 2010 harvest.