- Approximately 30 federally-inspected companies are involved in the business of raising, processing and marketing chickens on a “vertically integrated” basis – that is, the company is able to ensure quality at each step of the process.
- About 25,000 family farmers have production contracts with the companies. Approximately 95 percent of broiler chickens are produced on these farms, with the remaining 5 percent raised on company-owned farms.
- In 2018, more than 9 billion broiler chickens, weighing 56.5 billion pounds, liveweight, were produced. More than 42.5 billion pounds of chicken product was marketed, measured on a ready-to-cook basis.
- The United States has the largest broiler chicken industry in the world with about 17 percent of production exported to other countries in 2018.
- The United States is the second leading broiler exporter in the world, behind Brazil.
- The top 3 export destinations (value) in 2018 were Mexico, Canada and Cuba.
- The top 3 export destinations (volume) in 2018 were Mexico, Angola and Taiwan.
- Americans consume more chicken than anyone else in the world – more than 93.5 pounds per capita in 2018 – the number one protein consumed in the United States.
- The top 5 broiler producing states are: Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama, North Carolina and Mississippi.
|Basic economic measurements include:|
|Number of slaughter/evisceration plants||180|
|Number of workers directly employed||355,00|
|Number of workers indirectly employed||1.2 million|
|Number of family farms growing broilers and/or producing hatching eggs||25,000|
|Amount of corn used for broiler and breeder feed||More than 1.2 billion bushels|
|Amount of soybean (meal component) used for Broiler and breeder feed||More than 500 million bushels|
|Amount of mixed feed used||60 million tons|
|Wholesale value of industry shipments||$65 billion|
|Consumer retail expenditures for chicken||$95 billion|
Basic economic measurements include:
Number of slaughter/evisceration plants
Number of workers directly employed